ARCADIA PUBLISHING HAS ACQUIRED NEW ORLEANS-BASED RIVER ROAD PRESS
River Road Founder Scott Campbell Named Pelican’s New Publisher
Arcadia Publishing, the nation’s leading publisher of books of local history and local interest, announced today that it has acquired River Road Press, the dynamic publisher of books about New Orleans, Louisiana, and the surrounding region.
Scott Campbell, founder and publisher of River Road Press, will join Arcadia as publisher of Pelican Publishing, and the River Road Press catalog will merge with Pelican’s list. Pelican was acquired by Arcadia Publishing in 2019.
Pelican Publishing supports parents and educators during the stay-at-home order. Here are our current Read-Aloud guidelines.
We hope that you and your students are remaining at home, safe, and healthy. As educators and parents ourselves, we know that you are each facing many challenges and obstacles and we want to help. To encourage reading and classroom read-aloud experiences, and to support schools and public libraries forced to close by the escalating COVID-19 outbreak, Pelican Publishing is permitting teachers, librarians, culture bearers, and booksellers to create and share story time and read-aloud videos and live events, according to the following updated guidelines. These temporary guidelines allow you to incorporate Pelican Publishing books into your at-home curriculum or edutainment schedule.
We ask that if you choose to read our book online you follow these guidelines:
- You may read aloud any of our books, showing the outside cover of the book as you read.
- You may show up to six (6) spreads (a spread is 2 facing pages) as you read.
- At the beginning of your video, please state that you are presenting your reading “with permission from Pelican Publishing.”
- You may post to a short-term location such as Facebook Live for short-term viewing. No public long-term recording and posting of the reading will be permitted.
- If a teacher or educator plans to share a story time video by recording a video, uploading it to a YouTube channel, and posting a link to that YouTube video inside a closed educational platform, that YouTube video must be designated as “Unlisted” (not “Public”) when uploading. See screenshot for how to choose “Unlisted” while uploading on YouTube.
- Teachers and educators may post to unlisted postings or internal, private channels, or closed educational platforms such as Google Classroom, Schoology, Edmodo, and Discovery Education, in order to replicate the read-aloud book experience that would otherwise be available to educators in the classroom.
- Booksellers, librarians, or culture bearers may use a Pelican Publishing book to provide a story time or read-aloud live event. See the guidelines above for the number of page spreads to display during the event. These events may be streamed live, in real time, on social media platforms such as YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter, and Instagram for temporary use.
- For booksellers, librarians, or culture bearers, these story time or read-aloud live events may not be maintained in the archive of the social media platform, and appropriate measures should be taken to ensure that videos of the live events are not retained. Because these platforms automatically archive live events by default, when your event has concluded, please locate the recorded live video in your account (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and delete it. See screenshot for how to delete a live video from YouTube after it has concluded.
- Since we view this as a way to compensate for the closure of schools, please delete your video or disable access by the end of this current school year, no later than June 30, 2020, unless permission is extended by the publisher.
- A link must be provided to purchase the book (local indie bookstore, Amazon, etc.) with an acknowledgment that permission has been given to read the book live (unless you are a library; if so, acknowledge permission then link to your internal resources if available). Many of our children's books are available as Google ebooks—check to see if the book you are reading is!
- Please go to our website to download free activity sheets or other related resources provided by many of our authors. They can be found at the bottom of the page listing the book and shared for student use: www.pelicanpub.com. If you have trouble downloading them, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a digital copy.
- If you are reading the book on a public platform, please notify email@example.com in advance with the title, time, and distribution of the reading so we can share it with the many students stranded at home and isolated. We would love to follow along with your read-aloud, so please tag Pelican’s social media handles in any posts affiliated with it! Twitter: @PelicanPub. Instagram: @PelicanPublishing. Facebook: @PelicanPub. YouTube: @PelicanPublishing.
- If you can, post a review to Goodreads, Amazon, or other social review platform. Many of our authors would love to know that you are reading their books!
- Request a test from Renaissance/ Accelerated Reader program if available to you so that our books will continue to be a part of the nation’s educational resources.
By posting a reading, you are agreeing to abide by the above terms.
Thank you for all you are doing to help children and support literacy during this trying time. Thank you for understanding our restrictions and supporting the publishing industry and the many creative individuals who bring these books to the world.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Many of our authors would be happy to do a Google Hangout, Skype, Zoom, Facebook Live, or other type of public access channel to speak about their books and connect directly with your students. We would be happy to help make that happen.
Books of the Week
Current Best Sellers
|Click covers to see catalog download and viewing options.|
|Click covers to see catalog download and viewing options.|
Pelican Publishing Is Now Accepting Digital Submissions
Before submitting a proposal, we ask that you study Pelican’s books and lists. Our latest catalogs are available through the links above. A look through them will help you understand where our interests lie. We will consider almost any well-written work by an author who understands promotion. See our Author Guidelines for detailed submission information.
We look forward to seeing your proposal!